Introducing a NEW section on Baby See Shell!
Plan the BEST Baby Shower
If you have the honor of planning a baby shower, then make it the best one ever for the mom-to-be. Determine if this is to be a surprise shower or if the mom-to-be can be involved in it.
1. Does she have a specific theme she’d like?
2. Does she know how she will decorate the nursery?
3. Does she have a list of people she’d like to invite? Have her make a list of everyone she wants to attend the shower.
The things that make up a great shower are:
· Food – make sure there’s plenty of food and drink. Determine if it will be a meal or a snack. Normally there is a cake, then you can have sandwiches cut up in fours, chips and nuts, cookies, fruit, little specialty candies and punch.
· Set up a gift table and decorate it so that it complements the shower theme. Be sure to place a comfy chair close by for “Mom of the Hour” to sit in while she unwraps her gifts.
· Have a photographer (or a guest/friend) there to snap photos, or even video the occasion.
· Decorate the area to be cheery and fun. This is a fun occasion, a celebration of new life.
· Games. Games are what make showers so much fun – be sure to have prizes for all the winners of the games. Listed below are a few game suggestions:
Baby Food Tasting.
Take several jars of baby food and have enough spoons for each guest – one spoon per guest per jar. Have the guests taste the food, then write their answers on a piece of paper. The person who gets the most right wins a prize.
Each person is given a roll of toilet paper and asked to pull off the amount they think will fit around mom’s belly. The person that comes closest to measuring mom’s belly wins the game and a prize.
Have the mom-in-honor to pick one word that somehow relates to “baby” and that will be the key word. Give everyone a clothespin to attach to their clothes – in sight. Then proclaim the key word as off limits and if anyone hears another say the word – they get their clothespin. The person at the end of the shower with the most clothespins wins the game and a prize.
Put some baby items on a tray. Items like a pacifier, diaper rash ointment, diaper, baby spoon, baby bottle, bib, etc. Hand out a sheet of paper and a pen. Walk around the room showing everyone the contents of the tray – then remove the tray and give everyone about 5 minutes to write down what was on the tray. The first one with the correct answers wins a prize.
Hand everyone a sheet of paper and pen. Get out a Mother Goose book and say the first line of the rhyme – and see how many can write the rest of it. Do this with several rhymes. The person(s) who get it right wins a prize.
Most importantly, have fun!! Baby showers are supposed to be light-hearted and fun for the mom-to-be. Make it a festive time with these games and shower ideas.